As expected, the plywood seat I put on the Step2 Garden Seat for Mary’s Vassar Farms plot lasted about a year before the wood rotted away around the screws. In the meantime, we’d acquired a stack of SiLite cafeteria trays, so we applied one to the cause of better seating:
Various eBay listings value that slab of
Bakelite Melamine up to $20, which is far more than Mary paid for the entire stack at a local tag sale. They also call that color “rich brown”, which is certainly better than what immediately came to mind when I saw them.
The stylin’ asymmetric design happened when I realized the squared-off handle end of the cart didn’t demand a rounded-off end of the seat. I cut off the raised tray rim before sketching the rounded outline using the rotted seat as a template; some of the sketch remains over on the right-front corner. A session with Mr Belt Sander put the remaining rim edges flush with the surface, no matter what the picture suggests.
The tray being 2 mm thinner than the plywood, I tried printing the hinges in a different orientation with different built-in support:
The perimeter threads pulled up far too much and, although fiddling with cooling would likely help, I think the original orientation was better:
Given that the post-apocalypse breakfast will be served on similar trays, the seat should survive for quite a while in the garden. We think the sun will convert the brown surface into a bun warmer; a coat of white paint may be in its future.
The original OpenSCAD code is still out there as a GitHub Gist.
One thought on “Step2 Garden Seat: Replacement Seat2”
Comments are closed.