Advertisements

Blender Bearing Repair: Round Three

After half a dozen years, the bearings in the blender impeller felt pretty bad:

Defunct blender bearings

Defunct blender bearings

I wiped everything clean, found the box containing the box containing the tube of bearings, packed the base with more silicone grease, reassembled everything in reverse order, and it’s all good again.

The first repair lasted for a year and the second for six, so I think overpacking the base with grease helped a lot. Maybe I’m getting better at ignoring horrible grinding sounds.

I can do this twice more, although the Jesus clip holding the shaft into the bearing stack definitely needs replacing.

Advertisements

  1. #1 by madbodger on 2016-05-18 - 13:27

    My water distiller has a cheap fan with thinner laminations than most fans, so I’ve had no luck finding a replacement that would fit without seriously modifying a bunch of injection molded plastic. Therefore, I rebuild the fan when it gets noisy. The first time, I disassembled it, cleaned everything, lubed it with machine oil, and it ran beautifully for about a year then started getting noisy again. The second time, I did the same (a “permanent” bearing cover popped off, but I was able to get it back in place, but took advantage of the opportunity to lubricate from both ends, and went with much nicer lubricating grease. It ran for about two and a half years that time. It’s starting to make unhappy noises again…

    • #2 by Ed on 2016-05-18 - 13:34

      Sounds very much like the dog howling in the refrigerator’s freezer compartment. The most recent replacement has been running for the last three years; we’ve agreed that we’ll scrap the refrigerator when it fails again.

  2. #3 by Red County Pete on 2016-05-19 - 11:09

    I’ve rebuilt a few motors successfully, and even one PM one from my ~25 year old cordless mower, but I wiped out with the motor from my old CPAP (circa 1998) compressor. You mentioned a while ago that the magnets were prone to saturation if they came in contact, and I think this is what happened. Also, I didn’t have a good number for the location of the turbine’s rotor on the shaft, so I ended up with a rebuilt machine that ran a bit slow, didn’t pump much air, and was loud to boot. Sigh. Tooling to do a good job wouldn’t have cost much more than replacing the machine, I guess. [grin]

    On the other hand, the turbine is a cute little bugger, made from aluminum castings (sandcast housing, die or investment cast rotor), and it looks like it could be useful under some odd set of circumstances. If I drive it off a shaft with the ability to adjust spacings, it would probably work. Something for the Neat Stuff scrapbox.

    The 10.5 year old replacement machine is at end of life, with an hour meter topped out at 19,999. (25-30K hours most likely.) When the new machine and its backup(FTW!) arrives, I’m curious to see how that one was put together. It’s failing gracefully, and UPS says it only has to last a day or two more. I hope.

    We’re still happy with the simple (freezer on top) Frigidaire we got in 2012…