A new spool of retina-burn orange PETG snagged when the takeup guide let the filament fall off the inboard side and the extruder tightened the loops around the spool holder. I carefully unwound the loops without removing the spool to ensure I didn’t introduce a crossover, scraped the bird’s next off the platform, and restarted the print.
After undoing the second snag, I added a crude spool sidewall:
It’s decidedly unlovely, but I was in a hurry to get a PCB holder printed and ready for use. Worked perfectly!
I’ve rarely had a problem with any other spools and I don’t know what’s new-and-different with this one.