LibreOffice from 5.3 onward (Xubuntu 18.04 uses LO 6.0) no longer supports Adobe Type 1 fonts, which comes as a surprise to those of us who actually bought fonts, back in the day, and have been using them ever since. Apparently, Windows dropped Type 1 font support some time ago.
Based on some hints, I set up the Adobe Font Development Kit for OpenType. It’s a Python thing, preferably running in a virtual environment to avoid screwing up the rest of one’s system with bizarre dependencies. It seems one (“I”) must not update pip using pip after installing python-pip using apt-get; recovering from that mess was good for another hour of flailing.
The default AFDKO installation spat out an error message about ufolib (I am not making this up) being at 2.1.1, instead of the required 2.3.1. In for a penny, in for a pound, I updated ADFKO with the “prerelease” option:
pip install -U afdko --pre
Which fetched ufolib 2.3.1, apparently from wherever Python keeps its prerelease stash. I have NFC what’s going on with any of this.
tx -cff -n -N -A awb_____.pfb --- Filename: awb_____.pfb --- FontName: ACaslon-Bold tx: --- awb_____.pfb tx: (cfw) unhinted tx: (cfw) unhinted tx: (cfw) unhinted tx: (cfw) unhinted tx: (cfw) unhinted tx: (cfw) There are 222 additional reports of 'unhinted'.
-A option replaces the bizarre Adobe 8.3 file names with actual font information:
awrg____.pfb ⇒ ACaslon-Bold.cff awbi____.pfb ⇒ ACaslon-BoldItalic.cff awi_____.pfb ⇒ ACaslon-Italic.cff awrg____.pfb ⇒ ACaslon-Regular.cff awsb____.pfb ⇒ ACaslon-Semibold.cff awsbi___.pfb ⇒ ACaslon-SemiboldItalic.cff
Regrettably, CFF files don’t actually work as fonts, at least as far as LibreOffice 6.0 (or whatever it uses as a font engine) is concerned.
Although it’s possible to convert fonts locally with
fontforge, doing it one-by-one is tedious and the learning curve for its Python scripting feature seems rather steep. I fired the most vital fonts at Convertio, an online converter running
fontforge in the background, got a matching pile of OTF fonts, and installed them in
/usr/share/fonts/custom/type1 to indicate their heritage.
Whereupon LO rammed into a problem I’d had before. The solution this time required sorting the various Caslon and American Typewriter fonts into different “font families” and forcing the TTF names to match their new families. The difference between
Regular seems to have Gone Away.
I should just use Comic Sans and be done with it …