Configuring the knockoff RAMPS 1.4 board went reasonably smoothly:
The DC (n.b., not an AC) solid state relay in the foreground switches the 20 V laptop supply brick to the RAMPS shield atop the knockoff Arduino Mega 2560, controlled by the
PS_ON pin (black wire), with +5 V from a pin in the AUX header (yellow wire). The SSR includes a ballast resistor limiting the current to 12 mA, with an inconspicuous red LED behind the black dot showing when the output is turned on.
Because it’s a DC SSR, polarity matters: the supply goes to the + terminal, the RAMPS power inputs to the – terminal.
I haven’t applied much of a load to to the SSR, but it works as expected. Define
POWER_SUPPLY 1 and
PS_DEFAULT_OFF so the boards starts up with the SSR turned off, then use
M80 / M81 to turn it on / off as needed.
Remove D1 on the RAMPS board to isolate the Mega power from the +20 V supply. Stuffed as shown, the Mega draws 70 mA from the USB port, although an external 8 V (-ish) supply is always a good idea.
The stepper is a random NEMA 17 from the heap in a mount intended for a DIY plotter. I adjusted the tiny trimpots on all the boards for 400 mA peak = 250 mA RMS into the windings, after finding 250 mApk didn’t produce nearly enough mojo, even for a demonstration:
Just to get it running, I used
DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT = 100 step/mm,
MAX_FEEDRATE 100 mm/s, and (for lack of anything better)
DEFAULT_*_ACCELERATION 1000. Those all depend the torque produced by the motor current, which is still way too low.
The endstops require
I set the
?_BED_SIZE parameters to a generous 2000, with
?_MIN_POS equal to -SIZE/2 to put the origin in the middle where I prefer it, with a similar setting for the Z axis. Obviously, those numbers don’t correspond to any physical reality.
Three little 100 kΩ thermistors sprout from their header and produce reasonable temperatures, although (being cheap eBay parts) they may not match the Type 4 curve. I don’t have any heaters connected. All the over / under temperature lockouts are disabled, because I don’t care right now.
The G-Code parser wants uppercase command letters, which means I get to press the
Caps Lock key for the first time in nearly forever!
The header along the right edge of the board connects to the LCD control board, which is another story.
The diffs for the
Configuration_adv.h files as a GitHub Gist: