Advertisements

MakerGear M2: Marlin 1.0.2 Firmware Tweaks

Given that I’m throwing all the balls in the air at once:

  • V4 hot end / filament drive
  • 24 VDC motor / logic power supply
  • PETG filament

It seemed reasonable to start with the current Marlin firmware, rather than the MakerGear version from long ago. After all, when you file a bug report, the first question is whether it happens with the Latest Version.

Marlin has undergone a Great Refactoring that moved many of the constants around. I suppose I should set up a whole new Github repository, but there aren’t that many changes and I’ve gotten over my enthusiasm for forking projects.

Anyhow, just clone the Marlin repo and dig in.

In Marlin_main.cpp, turn on the Fan 1 output on Arduino pin 6 that drives the fans on the extruder and electronics box:

pinMode(6,OUTPUT);	// kickstart Makergear M2 extruder fan
digitalWrite(6,HIGH);

You could use the built-in extruder fan feature that turns on when the extruder temperature exceeds a specific limit. I may try that after everything else works; as it stands, this shows when the firmware gets up & running after a reset.

In Configuration_adv.h, lengthen the motor-off time and set the motor currents:

#define DEFAULT_STEPPER_DEACTIVE_TIME 600
#define DIGIPOT_MOTOR_CURRENT {185,215,185,185,135}

The Configuration.h file still has most of the tweaks:

#define STRING_CONFIG_H_AUTHOR "(Ed Nisley - KE4ZNU - Hotrod M2)"
#define STRING_SPLASH_LINE2 STRING_VERSION_CONFIG_H

#define BAUDRATE 115200

#define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_RAMBO

#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 1
#define TEMP_SENSOR_BED 1

#define HEATER_0_MAXTEMP 290
#define HEATER_1_MAXTEMP 290
#define HEATER_2_MAXTEMP 290
#define HEATER_3_MAXTEMP 290

#define X_MAX_POS 136
#define X_MIN_POS -100
#define Y_MAX_POS 125
#define Y_MIN_POS -127
#define Z_MAX_POS 175
#define Z_MIN_POS 0

#define HOMING_FEEDRATE {75*60, 75*60, 30*60, 0}

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT   {88.88,88.88,400,424.4}
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE          {450, 450, 100, 94}
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION      {5000,2500,2000,10000}

#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION          10000
#define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION  10000
  

I missed the max & min position settings on the first pass (they’re new!), which matter because I put the origin in the middle of the platform, rather than the front-left corner. Marlin now clips coordinates outside that region, so the first thinwall calibration box only had lines in Quadrant 1…

Advertisements

, ,

  1. #1 by solaandjin on 2015-03-16 - 14:03

    There was a report in the M2 forum that the latest post Great Refactoring versions are causing missed steps. It would be great to hear if you encounter that, or not, or if you do and here’s how to fix it….

    • #2 by Ed on 2015-03-16 - 15:49

      After a dozen hours of printing, the short answer is “nope”.

      Y homing occasionally stalled, which Went Away with a half-second delay in the startup G-Code. The problem seemed to be EMI from the steppers getting into the endstop, probably due to changing from 19 V to 24 V power: 25% more oomph driving the di/dt at turn-on. Putting all those wires in the same loom makes for a tidy package, but the endstops depend on the Arduino’s internal pullup, which runs around 20 kΩ and is way too feeble.

      Now that I’m reasonably sure that’s the case, I’ll solder a 4.7 kΩ resistor to +5 V, remove the delay, and see what happens.