Kitchen Chair Leg Glide

A stick in the ground marking a repair:

Kitchen chair leg glide
Kitchen chair leg glide

The white plastic glide / slide / foot / cap / whatever is molded around a simple nail that broke a divot out of the foot. Fortunately, I caught it before the nail gouged the kitchen floor.

Under normal conditions, I’d replace the foot from my heap, but, my heap having become somewhat depleted, I swapped in another chair, chipped out the broken plastic, undercut the divot, filled it with JB Kwik epoxy, gooshed the foot in place, and taped it until it cured.

We’ll see how long this lasts …

3 thoughts on “Kitchen Chair Leg Glide

  1. I’ve had very good success with 4mm thick felt material (1/8″ should work just fine as well), glued to the legs with contact cement (rubber glue, yellow smelly stuff). I first apply one coat of glue to felt sheet and allow it to set completely. Next day I rough cut the required pads, apply glue to both them and the chair legs, wait 15 minutes until it’s not tacky anymore and press the pads on the legs. Since it’s contact cement, you only get one chance to align it correctly, re-positioning is not an option. You can sit on the chair for a minute to get good pressure on the glue line, trim any excess felt and use the chair right away. Felt glides really nice over smooth hardwood floors.

    They sell these sheets with self adhesive layer as well, but that only works for stationary furniture, otherwise pads migrate on the legs as you skid around and pretty soon you have tacky glue mess all over floor that only comes of with strong solvents.

    I once tried gluing them using CA glue but that failed over time.

    1. Sounds good to me, although my contact cement aged out a while ago.

      I think hard plastic doesn’t embed grit and become an abrasive pad quite as quickly as felt, so I tend to use fuzzy felt feet only for stationary objects. IIRC, those things started out as round domes that wore down to a perfect match with the floor. I used disk-shaped plastic pads on other chairs that wore into crescents; that requires a couple of decades, but we’re patient about such things.

      Also IIRC, all the chairs arrived with one long leg that I skidded across a sheet of coarse sandpaper (on a concrete floor) until they all agreed, then applied the plastic caps. Worked great in the last three houses, so I’ll call it a win.

      1. Our hickory (engineered wood) floors are not smooth, so we’ve been using teflon pads that screw into the legs. When the leg is round, there’s usually a divot from the lathe, so it presets the hole.

        Last time I had to redo pads, though, the teflon ones fell off the Home Depot list, but I found some plastic pads elsewhere with a slightly resilient plastic that seems to be Good Enough.

Comments are closed.