An old friend asked for a copy of the Smithsonian’s Apollo 11 Command Module. I started with a tiny 1:80 version to check feasibility:
It’s obviously not printable in one piece without a ton of support, so I chopped off the heatsink and printed the parts separately in the obvious orientation:
And glued them back together:
That worked well enough, even without locating pins, to give me confidence that it’d come out all right.
There’s plenty of gimcrackery surrounding the upper airlock:
Most of which simply vanished at 1:80 scale:
I made another cut just below the top of the capsule and ran off a 1:40 scale version that came out somewhat better, but it was still ugly:
Much to my astonishment, the grab rail over the side hatch, between the two parachute motars, came out well every time.
The giant 1:20 scale version would require something over 24 hours of printing, so I went with 1:30 in three pieces:
The top had pretty good detail:
Gluing the parts together made it ready for cleanup / finishing / painting:
Which he’s better at than I ever will be…
Natural PETG probably isn’t the right plastic for that kind of model, but it’s what I had on hand.