So Kohl’s sent Mary a killer deal coupon and we bought some odds and ends, including a new cutting board to replace the decades-old one that I’ve been flycutting clean every few years. Evidently bamboo is the new Right Stuff for cutting boards; it’s certainly eyeshattering.
The thing spent the last few days soaking up a slathering of canola oil, in the hope it won’t soak up other juices.
The instructions say to store the board standing on end so it dries properly. Evidently you’re supposed to hang it from the ring screwed into one end, but a corresponding hook (not supplied) just doesn’t doesn’t have a place on our counter / cabinet / backsplash. However, we could stand it up, leaning against an under-cabinet shelf next to the toaster oven, if only it wouldn’t slide away.
This calls for some aftermarket tweakage!
So I hauled it to the Basement Laboratory Woodworking Wing and installed a pair of silicone rubber feet in little recesses.
I grabbed a 7/16-inch end-cutting end mill in the drill press, because even the manual mill doesn’t have enough height for the board on end and the drill press doesn’t have enough reach for a Forstner bit without fiddling around with the emergency drop stopper clamp. The drill press does have a good vise and an XY table, so I got it pretty close to dead center on the third dark stripe from each edge.
The feet are about 1/4 inch tall: I went down half that in the hopes they wouldn’t bump off quite so easily.
But that didn’t quite work: the adhesive on the feet doesn’t grip the rather porous endgrain bamboo nearly well enough: a foot popped off after a day. I added a layer of Genuine 3M double-stick foam tape to the feet and that’s holding just fine.