The second banana plug on one of my multimeters failed, so I finally got around to replacing them with a dual plug from the Drawer o’ Banana Stuff:
The bulky test leads don’t quite fit through the convenient retaining ring, so the zip tie holds ’em in place.
A setscrew at the base of each banana jack tunnel crunches the test lead wire against the plug base, but, alone among the collection, this plug had one missing screw. Rather than toss it away (or, worse, back in the Drawer), I decided to Solve The Problem once and for ever:
That’s an ordinary M3 screw from the Drawer o’ Random M3 Stuff with its head hacksawed off, a slot crudely hacksawed slightly off-center into the end, then lightly filed to hide the worst damage. With a bit of luck, nobody will ever notice it …
5 thoughts on “Multimeter Banana Plugs”
It’s off center to distribute load correctly in the tightening direction, right? ;-)
Got it in one!
Well, OK, I tried running the black lead under the ring, but it didn’t cooperate.
I feel cheated by fact that “second” is not a hyperlink leading down the rabbit hole that is this blog :)
There is still hope you somehow forgot to make it a link though :)
The original “banana plugs” had metal posts split into bent-outward quadrants. Unsurprisingly, the metal wasn’t springy, so the quadrants gradually bent inward and eventually broke off. When the second quadrant in one plug broke, I chopped off both plugs, tossed ’em in the trash, installed the dual plug, took out the trash, then wrote it up.
That’s the story and I’m sticking with it.
I’m sure there’s another set of those craptastic test leads disintegrating in another meter. They’ll get a backlink to this story, fer shure!
Very well, I’ll let this one slide, though it brings “dog ate my homework” excuse to mind :P
Comments are closed.