The remote cable for the Yaesu FT-857 I have in the car terminates in an 8-pin modular plug. The connector body has a cutout for the round rubber (?) insulation around the cable; it’s not set up for a standard flat 8-wire network cable. However, the cable makes a right-angle bend immediately outside the Front Panel to fit inside the confines of the remote mounting case, which pulled the insulation out of the connector.
The electrical connections are fine, but that can’t last. I finally got around to armoring that bend to (I hope!) prevent any problems. Contrary to what you might expect from my proclivity to blob epoxy on everything, I blobbed on hot-melt glue to hold the wires in place, as well as turn a bit of the cable into a rigid body. Even in a hot car, this ought to work fine…
I put some ordinary adhesive tape on the back of the Panel, butted up against the connector body, to keep the glue out of the socket and off the (back of the) Front Panel. That prevents the connector from becoming one with the Panel.
Pause while the glue solidifies, release the latch and pry the connector+glue off the tape with a small screwdriver, trim the excess glue, then peel the tape off the Panel. The connector snaps into place just like it should and the wires no longer have any freedom of motion.
Here’s what the modified connector looks like in all its glory. The cable really does bend downward slightly beyond a right angle in order to fit into a recess in the Front Panel.
This isn’t suitable for a connector getting a lot of the old in-out in-out, but the Front Panel remains in place for months at a time and this should delay the inevitable failure.