As a follow-up to those surprising (in an un-surprising way) magnetic field measurements, I measured each sensor’s current from a +5 V supply with no magnetic field applied:
The sequence numbers do not match those in the field measurements, because the sensors spent the night in their respective bags and I didn’t want to re-measure everything from scratch. I may wind up doing it with a DC field, but not right now.
- SS49: 4 mA typical, no max given
- SS49E: 6 mA typical, 10 mA maximum
The sensors in the first column have supply currents that are close enough for SS49E sensors, albeit with out-of-spec 1.8 mV/G sensitivity.
However, I’d say the sensors in the second column should be marked 49 rather than 49E and, if that’s true, then the plot thickens. In-spec SS49 sensors have 0.60 to 1.25 mV/G sensitivity, which neatly brackets the average 0.875 mV/G I measured: it’s faintly possible those have incorrect markings, rather than being manufacturing rejects.
But I wouldn’t bet on that…
I should pick up some genuine sensors from a reputable supplier and measure those, just for completeness.