Archive for May 31st, 2017
While tinkering with the SPI code for the AD9850 DDS module, I wrote down the ambient temperature and the frequency tweak required to zero-beat the 10 MHz output with the GPS-locked oscillator. A quick-n-dirty plot summarizing two days of randomly timed observations ensued:
The frequency offset comes from the tweak required to zero-beat the output by adjusting the initial oscillator error: a positive tweak produces a smaller count-per-hertz coefficient and reduces the output frequency. As a result, the thermal coefficient sign is backwards, because increasing temperature raises the oscillator frequency and reduces the necessary tweak. I think so, anyway; you know how these things can go wrong. More automation and reliable data would be a nice touch.
Foam sheets formed a block around the DDS module, isolating it from stray air currents and reducing the clock oscillator’s sensitivity:
I used the ambient temperature, because the thermocouple inside the foam (not shown in the picture) really wasn’t making good contact with the board, the readings didn’t make consistent sense, and, given a (nearly) constant power dissipation, the (average) oscillator temperature inside the foam should track ambient temperature with a constant offset. I think so, anyway.
The coefficient works out to 0.02 ppm/°C. Of course, the initial frequency offset is something like -400 Hz = 3 ppm, so we’re not dealing with lab-grade instrumentation here.