Archive for October, 2016
A long time ago, I discovered some quasi-AAAA cells inside 9 V batteries:
It occurred to me that I should dismantle a defunct Rayovac Maximum 9 V alkaline battery from the most recent batch (*) to see what it looked like:
A closer look at those pancake cells:
They look like separate cells bonded into a stack, although there’s no easy way to probe the inter-cell contacts; the leftmost cell probably died first.
(*) Which has apparently outlived the Rayovac Maximum brand, as they don’t appear on the Rayovac site.
New Cadillacs have thin white LED running lights along the front edges, with angular chromed trim below:
Their SUVs have matching vertical-stripe taillight / markers; it’s obviously a stylin’ thing. If it weren’t for the power, I’d run LED strips along the edge of the fairing & seat frame on our ‘bents.
Cannot be unseen…
As expected, the mis-assembled cart corrals in the Walmart parking lot remain that way. One corral has an additional feature that’s surely been there since Day 0:
On the upside, that’s a high-reliability, high-availability trash can.
Having accumulated a set of octal tube base clamps, it’s now a matter of selecting the proper clamp for each tube:
The process of shell-drilling the tube base, drilling the hard drive platter, printing a tube socket and case, wiring up the Arduino and base LED, then assembling the whole thing requires a bit of manual labor, assisted by some moderately exotic shop machinery.
The getter flash atop this small 6H6GT dual diode tube rules out a cap and there’s not enough space for a side light:
Fortunately, the base LED completely lights the internal glass:
The slowly changing color would make a fine night light:
It must be Art!
Sacrificing a scrap EMI shield from a junked PC as the electrolysis anode, I grabbed a tab with the battery charger clamp:
Turns out it didn’t survive the encounter:
That white blob extends around to the other side:
Yeah, it got hot enough to melt a blob from the 6 gallon plastic bucket before burning through.
I tossed that into the garage so I wouldn’t forget it aaaand here we are …
Mary’s new half-gallon sprayer arrived with a kink in the hose just below the handle, which is about what you’d expect from a non-reinforced plastic tube jammed into the smallest possible box containing both the sprayer and its wand. Fortunately, the Box o’ Springs had one that just fit the hose and jammed firmly into the handle:
The kink slowly worked its way out after being surrounded by the spring and shouldn’t come back.
That was easy…
The evacuation tip nearly touched the inside end of the base spigot!
I had to cut the shaft and half the body off the shell drill in order to fit it into the space above the tube base and below the chuck:
A slightly larger shell drill would still fit within the pin circle, but the maximum possible hole diameter in the base really isn’t all that much larger:
The getter flash covers the entire top of this tube, so I conjured a side light for a rectangular knockoff Neopixel:
There’s no orientation that doesn’t require support:
A little prying with a small screwdriver and some pulling with a needlenose pliers extracted those blobs. All the visible surfaces remained undamaged and I cleaned up the curved side with a big rat-tail file.
I wired the Arduino and Neopixels, masked a spot on the side of the tube (to improve both alignment and provide protection from slobbered epoxy), applied epoxy, and taped it in place until it cured:
The end result looks great:
It currently sends Morse code through the base LED, but it’s much too stately for that.